What to do when a referral tracks with the wrong partner
In this article, we will walk you through the steps of effectively moving a referral & the associated reward from one Partner account to another. There are some technicalities that can happen based on the referrals' activity which can cause this situation to come to light.
Scenario: "Partner A" gets a referral to sign up and they're in direct contact with them during the process. Partner A gets an email one day from their referral, thanking them and indicating they made a purchase using Partner A's link. Excitedly, the Partner logs into their dashboard to see their reward pending in their PartnerStack dashboard and upon logging in, they see nothing.
You search your PartnerStack dashboard under "referrals" and see that "Referral A" is there, but they happen to be associated to Partner B; Partner B also happens to be getting rewarded for this purchase.
The cause: Something like this can happen as a result of the referral clicking on multiple links and performing actions after clicking.
Referral A first clicked on Partner A's link and signed up. This initial click places a cookie on the referrals browser, which tracks activity for up to 90 days.
The referral waits before purchasing right way (perhaps there's a trial in place; perhaps they didn't have time to make a purchase right after signup) and in the meantime see the same advertisement for the product/service they just signed up for. This reminds them that they want to purchase, and so they click the link (which happens to belong to Partner B) and they make their purchase.
The reason: The second click has now replaced Partner A's browser cookie with Partner B's, which then attributes that purchase and the resulting reward(s) to Partner B.
The solution: Who will earn the reward and be affiliated with which Partner is up to your discretion, as the company. If you feel like the situation calls for the initial partner to earn the reward, then the below steps will guide you on adding the referral and their purchase to the correct Partner account, as well as deleting the referral and associated reward from the other partner account.
Re-assigning the reward
I encourage you to first read through the entire process first, to ensure you have all the information you need to re-create the customer.
1. Log into your Company Dash
2. Search for the referral in the referrals tab on the left-hand navigation bar; click on the referral
3. When you click into the referral profile, it will open a card which lists all details about their activity as well as the Partner they're tied to.
On the main view, "detailed info", you will see an option to delete the customer.
4. Once you've deleted the customer, click back into the "Referrals Tab" on the left-hand navigation bar. Then click on "Add Customer" on the top-right, and be prepared to input all of the customers' information.
5. In the "Add Customer" form, you will have to
- Include the customer's name
- Include the customer's email address
- The customer key is optional unless the customer has purchased a subscription or opted into a recurring transaction
- The customer key would have to be provided by your payment gateway (Stripe, etc), and is usually housed within the specific customers' transaction details
- Search for the partner you would like to assign this customer and purchase to
- Submit & refresh your page; you should see the customer details updated, as well as see the customer details from the partner view.
If you require any assistance, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org!