Who is this article for?
This article will be useful to you if are running your partner program on PartnerStack and want to add a customer or sale.
There are reasons why link tracking might fail and a customer was not created in PartnerStack as a result.
When this happens, you may want to add in those missed referrals to keep tracking accurate and reward your partners.
If you're adding in a customer and will be sending transactions through your payment webhook (i.e. Stripe, Recurly), you will need to ensure the provider_key is added. Please see Tracking manually added subscriptions and recurring transactions for more information.
Add a customer
To add a customer to PartnerStack, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Performance & Rewards > Referrals on the left-hand side menu and click on "Add Customer"
- In the window that opens, add the customer information and select the partner you want to attribute the customer to
- Click "Submit Referral"
This will also create the customer/referral on the partner's dashboard.
If you're adding in a customer and are integrated with a payment webhook, you will need to ensure the customer_key and provider_key are added to ensure future transactions are rewarded. Please see Tracking recurring transactions with a payment webhook integration for more information.
Record a sale
Once the customer has been created, you can record a sale so the partner gets rewarded for the customer's purchase. You can also use these steps if sales for an already existing customer were not tracked through PartnerStack for any reason.
- Navigate to the Referrals tab on the left-hand side menu and search for and select the customer you want to record a sale for. This will open the customer's details
- Select the "Transactions" tab on the customer page and click on "Record a transaction"
- Record the transaction amount for the customer
- To complete recording the sale, click "Add"
If your offers generate rewards based on product keys, make sure you include the product_key while adding the transaction or no reward will generate for your partner. Not sure if your offers rely on product_keys? Reach out to your Customer Success Manager or email Support@PartnerStack.com.
If you are rewarding on transactions, any relevant rewards will generate for your partner after the sale is recorded.
Tracking recurring transactions with a payment webhook integration
When adding in a customer, for recurring transactions to track properly, it is important to know whether your integrated payment method is a payment webhook.
If it is, in order for recurring transactions to track moving forward, the customer needs to have both a customer_key and a provider_key attached.
Transactions will not track until the customer_key and provider_key are attached to the customer.
The customer key will be present in your internal systems and can be added to the customer in-app following the Add a customer steps.
There are four ways you can ensure the provider_key is attached to the customer:
- In the Referrals tab: You can add a provider_key when creating a new customer, or editing an existing customer
- API: You can send a customer_create or customer_update event via API
- Import: You can import the customer with the provider_key. To learn more about importing, see Universal Importer. To import a customer with a provider_key, you would want to use the Customer import with the provider_key column added.
- In your payment provider: Changing some information in the customer's profile within your payment provider will send a customer_create or update event.
Integrated with payment webhooks and not sure if your customer's provider_key has been added successfully? Reach out to Support@PartnerStack.com
Changing customer attribution
In some cases, you may find a customer has been attributed to an incorrect partner. If you need to change the customer's attributed partner, you can do this in the customer's settings.
- In your Referrals tab click on the customer you would like to re-attribute
- Click on the customer settings and select "Edit customer" from the drop-down
- In the view that opens click the "X" to remove the incorrect partner
- Type and select the name of the correct partner the customer should be attributed to
- Click "Save"
Reattributing a customer will not reattribute any transactions or rewards that have already been generated for the partner. Future transactions for the customer will generate rewards for the newly attributed partner.
Deleting a customer
- Locate the customer on your Referrals tab and click on their name
- In the detailed customer view that opens click on the Settings icon
- Select "Delete customer" from the drop-down
- This will remove the customer entirely (including removing it from the partners' dashboard)
Deleting a Transaction
- Click Referrals
- Find the partner you wish to delete a transaction for, and click on their name
- Select Transactions
- Click on the trash can icon beside the transaction
- Click Delete